MINNESOTA DRIFTLESS: CHAPTER ANNUAL MEETING
Chapter Picnic & Meeting
Saturday, August 19 – 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Location: Chester Woods County Park, Shelter #5, Olmsted County
9:00–11:30 —— Field trip
- The tentative plans are to visit multiple sites on the western edge and central portions of the park.
- Field trip leaders will include people familiar with the natural communities of the park as well as the history of prairie, savanna, and woodland restoration and management activities.
- We’re looking into whether the park’s tractor-pulled wagon is available to use for the field trip. If it is, this would be an especially nice feature for those with limited mobility and young children.
- Stay tuned for more details about where we would meet.
12:00–1:30 —— Pot-luck picnic
- Picnic shelter #5
- There are electrical outlets in the shelter for crock pots and warmers if needed.
- There is a vault toilet, sand volleyball, and playground near the picnic shelter.
1:30–3:00 —— Meeting
- Summary of MD TPE activities during the previous year
- Discussion about planned or hoped-for chapter activities in the upcoming year.
- Presentation of the annual chapter Treasurer’s report.
- Discuss potential items that would be included in the 2024 budget.
- Other discussions as needed and time allows.
- Hold elections for two of the chapter board positions during the annual meeting. The board positions up for election are President and Secretary.
Following the meeting, people are welcome to stay and explore the prairie and savanna areas that are immediately adjacent to picnic shelter #5.
If all of that isn’t enough for some people, there’s a playground and sand volleyball near the picnic shelter, and the park has a boat launch for people who want to bring a canoe, kayak, or use larger boats powered by an electric motor. There’s also a swimming beach!
So – stay tuned for more details including directions. In the meantime, feel free to explore the park’s webpages for more information about what it has to offer. This park webpage has maps that might be helpful.
Any questions or concerns can be EMAILED to Stephen Winter.